Upper Skagit Library
Located in the historic town of Concrete, Washington, the Upper Skagit Library District serves over 4,800 people in eastern Skagit County.
- Family Storytime! Families with young children are invited to join us for stories, songs and a simple craft. Saturday June 4th, 11-11:45am the topic is "Get In The Game READ!"
- Upper Skagit Library Foundation Book Sale! Saturday May 28th, 9am – 3pm, Concrete Saturday Market. It’s book buying time. Come out, chat with us, and support the library by purchasing an array of used books. Discover the treasures you'll find at our sale! If you'd like to volunteer that day, please contact John Boggs at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you there!
- Congrats, April Poetry Contest Winners! Adult First Place: Adam Lafayette, Rockport, “Shopping Spree;” Adult Second Place Tie: Diane Freethy, Sedro Woolley, “Riparian Resort;” Danita Smead, Sedro Woolley, “Fallen.” Teen First Place Tie: Sydney Bovenkamp, Sedro Woolley, age 13, “A Poem for Change;” Tavish Beals, age 17, Rockport, “Loves Exodus.” Children First Place: Michael Casey, age 9, Concrete, “Sometimes;” Children Second Place: Prudence Star, age 8, Concrete, “How Quiet.” Tavish Beals won the grand prize drawing for full admission to the Skagit River Poetry Festival. The Poetry Slam winner, Damien Guerrero, won a ticket to the spoken word event at the festival. USLD thanks participants and winners for making this year’s contest a wonderful success. The library thanks contest partners, 5b’s Bakery, which hosted the slam, and the Skagit River Poetry Foundation, who provided the grand prize. Look for custom bookmarks highlighting these poems coming soon to the library and local community businesses. View the collection of winning poems here.
- Craft Friday! Craft Fridays at 5b’s Bakery occur the first Friday of each month, 6pm. Each month community members will sponsor a different craft. Call the 5b’s Bakery or the Upper Skagit Library for more information on this month’s craft. Open to all ages.
- Tutoring! Do you need to brush up on basic computer skills? Need help with a resume or cover letter? Having trouble with a job application? We now offer one-on-one tutoring for these concerns. Every Friday, 10am to 11am, 60 minute sessions. Appointment Required. Sign up today by calling us, 360-853-7939, or stop in and we’ll get you signed up.
- Knit & Crochet with Sylvia! Tuesdays 5-8pm in the conference room.
- June 9th, 5pm regular board meeting, at the Library.
- Microsoft Imagine Academy! We are pleased to have the Washington State Library Microsoft Imagine Academy training program available in our library. This is a great program for the people of our community who want to improve their job skills or learn basic, advanced computer skills in general. All of the online training included in the Imagine Academy program is free. Come to the library to receive instructions and help on how to get started with Microsoft Imagine Academy. Detailed instructions are available here.
- Boopsie! Now you can download Boopsie for Library’s app on to your smartphone or tablet. The app provides mobile access to our catalogs, library location, hours and more.
- Recycle! Upper Skagit Library Foundation has a box at the Library to collect inkjet cartridges, cell phones and small electronics for recycling. Visit Planet Green Recycle website.
- Survey! In the beginning of 2016, 124 Upper Skagit Library District patrons participated in the survey. View the results here.