Upper Skagit Library
Located in the historic town of Concrete, Washington, the Upper Skagit Library District serves over 4,000 people in eastern Skagit County.
USL October programs calendar is available here. Like us on Facebook to receive library notifications, updates and upcoming events. Check out our September newsletter and sign up by clicking "Follow Upper Skagit Library" and entering your email address.
- Skagit Reads 2014! This October please join readers from across Skagit County for Skagit Reads 2014! We will come together as a county to read and discuss Mark Winne’s book “Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty.” Visit our library to get a free copy of the book. “Closing the Food Gap” discusses the issues of hunger, food insecurity, and nutrition within the United States and examines the diverse community-based initiatives that have sought to address these problems. We will be hosting a number of events and discussions throughout October. Check back for more details!
- Anne Schwartz! On Friday, October 24th, 5pm to 6pm the library will host a discussion with guest speaker Anne Schwartz. Local organic farmer and advocate from Blue Heron Farm, Schwartz will discuss how her many years of farming and role as an advocate coincides with the larger issues of food access in the U.S. This event will take place at the Library, and is sponsored by FOUSL.
- Book Discussion! Join us for a book discussion of Closing the Food Gap by Mark Winne on Wed. October 29th, 1pm to 2pm. The book discussion will be led by Cora Thomas, Library Associate at Upper Skagit Library. We will explore questions that get at the heart of the book and open up the conversation to find out your thoughts and opinions. Book Discussion will take place at the 5b’s Bakery & Eatery.
- T’ai Chi Chih® Course! Learn the 19 gentle movements and 1 pose, called T’ai Chi Chih®, that make up this moving meditation that stimulates, circulates and balances the vital energy within us known as Chi. Laurie Thomas, Accredited T’ai Chi Chih® Teacher and Library Board member, is offering this 8 week course as a Fundraiser for the Library’s New Building. For more information is available here.
- Knit & Crochet with Sylvia! Tuesdays 5-8pm in the conference room.
- Guitar Classes! Saturdays October 4th and 18th, 10-11am in the library, bring your guitar.
- October 18th, 5pm regular board meeting, at the Library.
- Microsoft IT Academy! We are pleased to have the Washington State Library Microsoft IT Academy training program available in our library. This is a great program for the people of our community who want to improve their job skills or learn basic, advanced computer skills in general. All of the online training included in the IT Academy program is free. Come to the library to receive instructions and help on how to get started with Microsoft IT Academy. Detailed instructions are available here.
- Boopsie! Now you can download Boopsie for Library’s app on to your smartphone or tablet. The app provides mobile access to our catalogs, library location, hours and more.
- Recycle Reminder! Friends of the Upper Skagit Library have a box at the Library to collect inkjet cartridges, cell phones and small electronics for recycling. Visit Planet Green Recycle website.
- Survey! In the fall of 2012, 59 people filled out the comprehensive Upper Skagit Library Survey. View the results here.